#NEweather: How to prepare for heavy rain and flooding

Big waves at Roker this morning.

A video posted by SRNews (@srnews) on

Source: Sunderland City Council Find out if your property is at risk from flooding: The Environment Agency provides a 24-hour Floodline service, which allows you to check if your property is at risk: 0845 988 1188 (or 0345 988 1188 from a mobile). The Environment Agency also issues flood warnings to local authorities and emergency services if there is a risk of flooding. These flood warnings are also circulated to local TV and radio stations, so that announcements can be made to enable you to prepare for any localised flooding.

Photo: Screen grab/ The Environment Agency.
Photo: Screen grab/ The Environment Agency.
Photo: Screen grab/ Environment Agency.
Photo: Screen grab/ Environment Agency.

  What you can do to prepare for a flood? Check your level of insurance cover:

        • Is your property insured against flood damage?



      • Does your cover provide me with temporary accommodation?



      • Will any necessary clean up or repairs to your property be taken care of?



      • How much compensation will you receive if your business or organisation was involved in an emergency or major disaster?


      Road closures:

ROADS UPDATE: There is still a lot of standing water across the force area this morning so please be careful and leave…

Posted by Northumbria Police on Tuesday, 5 January 2016

Berwick Hill road in Northumberland closed due to flooding local diversions via Dinnington in place.

Posted by Northumbria Police on Wednesday, 6 January 2016

Pumping out water

Source: Environment Agency

You can ask your local Fire and Rescue Service for help pumping out water but you may be charged a fee.

You may need an environmental permit to pump water from your property yourself. Before you do anything, check with:

  • your local Environment Agency office if you want to pump water into rivers, boreholes, ditches or watercourses
  • your water company if you want to pump water into public sewers
  • the local highways authority or Highways England if you want to pump water into street drains, highways or highway ditches

How you can help yourself in a flood:

If you need help to deal with the affects of flooding in Sunderland, please contact us on 0191 520 5550.

Flood warnings for England and Wales: https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/warnings#details-severity-2

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.