Former Sunderland restaurant owner pleads guilty to breaching Fire Safety Rules

Photograph: Trip Advisor
Photograph: Trip Advisor

The former owner of the Thai Manor Restaurant in Sunderland has been found guilty of breaching Fire Safety Regulations.

Jahangir Hussain Qureshi, who owned Thai Manor on Foyle Street in Sunniside, pleaded guilty to eight charges at Sunderland Magistrates’ Court on March 20.

As well as the ground floor restaurant and kitchen, the premises was also being used to provide sleeping accommodation for seven students on upper floors and three members of staff in the basement area.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service’s Fire Safety Department, which is responsible for legislative Fire Safety in Tyne and Wear, brought the charges after the company failed to provide suitable fire safety arrangements.

The charges relate to an inappropriate fire alarm system, inadequate means of escape, ignition sources such as overloaded electrical extension cables, inadequate staff fire safety training and lack of a Fire Risk Assessment.

Area Manager for Community Safety, Kevin Gardner, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The breaches found at this premises were serious enough to put the lives of staff, students and customers at risk.

“It is always our preferred option to work closely with the business community to offer free fire safety advice and support; but in cases such as this one, we will not hesitate to exercise our legal powers to ensure the safety of the public and our firefighters.”

It is understood that the restaurant has now been closed.  The case has been sent to Crown Court for sentencing at 10am on April 22.

#####

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.